[opendtv] Re: MediaGuardian.co.uk: Freeview 'to overtake Sky Digital in 2005'

  • From: dmenolan <dmenolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Open DTV list <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 03:31:48 -0500

Wrong end of the stick, as usual? That was a flyer in a right wing paper =
which was flatly denied in public by the BBC DG
Free has driven the digital growth in the UK and Germany: the figures in =
the last quarter tell the story : 600,000 Freeview vs 55,000 pay. BTW we =
have had commercial television since 1955 and there are a large number of=
 commercial stations on Freeview including Disney's ABC.
The likely year end is Sky: 7.5M, Freeview: 5.0 M, digital cable: 2.5 M D=
SLTV: ~0.1M which is 60% of all homes being digital.

As usual this will be a crisp response due to time constraints!

Kind Regards as always,

DN

From:   INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:     , INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        =

Date:   18/11/104 00:02 PM

RE:     [opendtv] Re: MediaGuardian.co.uk: Freeview 'to overtake Sky Digital =
in 2005'

 =

I heard a promo for a news item -- but not the news item itself -- that t=
he
Beeb is going to halve it's staff due to budget cuts in the offing.  I
didn't think that anyone at the BBC wanted to lose staff.

Free was the key component for adoption of radio and TV in the U.S.
However, diversity of sources is a true value-added service provided by
cable, and there is no way to say what the driver is for DTV; free or pai=
diversity.

Of course, most of the world watches TV for no cost other than the set an=
the time spent watching.  Unlike the U.K. and a few other paises, but you=

gain more content and less bother per hour, absent the spots.

Sender: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [opendtv] Re: MediaGuardian.co.uk: Freeview 'to overtake Sky Dig=