[opendtv] Re: Media Center

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:10:12 -0500

> At 4:57 PM -0800 11/9/05, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> >First of all, I'm not talking about Microsoft Windows MCE.  I'm talking
> >about a "Media Center" in its theoretical potential.
>
> Thanks! There is a world of difference between Microsoft's vision and
> where the world is headed. Therre is still a great deal of confusion

Microsoft's vision? Microsoft ripped off almost everything you see in
MediaCenter from existing applications.

My own 'Media Center' application/website was around 3-4 years before
they released theirs. In fact it was the first PC-based media center
application. I would get a constant stream of emails from Microsoft
employees asking questions - one even to the tune of 'we are watching
what you are doing, and learning from it'. They are still fumbling on
the 'My Movies' ( here's mine which was out in 1999/2000
http://web.archive.org/web/20010619020847/www.media-box.org/screen3.jpg
and
http://web.archive.org/web/20020126232120/http://www.media-box.org/downloads/newplayer.jpg
), the 'single tuner PVR in a box', and 'one screen per media task
accessed from a main menu' paradigm. So very PC -- so not what people do
on a TV set. And way to not use the full capability of widescreen TVs
when showing 4x3 content. The list goes on...

Unfortunately everyone seems to be fumbling around on this same 'Media
Center' paradigm nowadays. Hopefully someone will remove the blindfolds
from all these people at some point in time so that they can branch out
and do something really innovative (which I doubt) - all I see Microsoft
doing is changing the graphics and adding one or two bolt-on features to
their Media Center product as it rolls along between releases, and all
the shareware and open source clones just copying them.

Cheers
Kon
(Really tired of 'My *.*')