[opendtv] Media Center

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 16:03:13 -0800

The media center idea is a great idea, but is not ready for today.  I am
trying to design a system that allows faculty to record any media from
cable, satellite, web cast, and OTA to a SAN and play it back at any
classroom in the building (and on campus, eventually).  The system will
cost a small fortune, require the best networks and some software
development.  So the technology is not there today for the average media
user.  The PC can get close, but not without a large price tag and some
technical expertise.  But it is definitely something to look for on the
horizon.

So for now, I guess we are stuck with separate tuners, media storage,
removable media players, etc., to feed one display!

Dan