[opendtv] Re: Maybe it's not just TV

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 18:01:24 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Perhaps there is much more to the decline in
> network television ratings than the competition
> from cable networks. Could it be that
> entertainment consumers are growing tired of the
> old Hollywood formulas, and that new
> communications technologies are empowering
> consumers to make improved "buying decisions?"
> Consider this statement from the end of the
> following NYT story:
> "You look around the theater and can see the glow,
> not on people's faces from watching the movie, but
> on their chins - from the BlackBerrys and
> iPhones," said Mr. Guber. "They are immediately
> telling their friends whether it's worth their
> time. And the answer to that, more often than not,
> seems to be no."

Could be part of it. Looks like (what I consider to be) insipid movies, like
most of the Batman or Spiderman movies, still manage to gross in the $100M
neighborhood on the first weekend. Or thereabouts.

Some of the storylines are just plain not fun. Not terribly engrossing, won't
keep you on the edge of your seat, and so forth. For instance, Public Enemies.
Another yawn gangster flick from the 1930s? We did see it, and it was okay, but
certainly not a movie I was aching to see. And some movies suffer from dismally
bad reviews, from so-called critics, that they absolutely do not deserve.

All that aside, it's HIGH TIME for an "adjustment," shall we say, when just one
star in the movie "earns" half, if not more than half, of the box office
receipts. I'm all for "adjustments." That's how business is supposed to work.

TV series such as The Listener or Flashpoint manage to entertain every bit as
much, if not more, than many of the more glitzy Hollywood ones. Adjustment time!