[opendtv] Maybe Murdoch doesn't 'need' DirecTV anymore ?

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 10:53:33 -0800

I'm not sure if I mused hereabouts that Rupert Murdoch took over DirecTV
'merely' so that he could 'hit' then-infringing Echostar, but if not, I
could and should have.

On December 1, Echostar took the hit (with the pending question of whether
their deal with the National Programming Service will hold), and now,
somehow, the background murmurings that John Malone might want to swap his
stake in News Corp for News Corp's stake in DirecTV have become more than
murmuring.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/technology/07cable.html?ex=1323147600
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/technology/07cable.html?ex=1323147600&en=
c8533008ded64994&ei=5089&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss>
&en=c8533008ded64994&ei=5089&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss

John Willkie

P.S.  I won't give up verbal wrestling with Bob Miller, if he continues to
spew foolishness.  It wouldn't be much of a fair physical match, either.  My
current weight is about 227, and I never lost a wrestling match in high
school (but then, I never liked the sport, and I just wanted to prevail
quickly, if I could.)