[opendtv] Re: Martin: 15% of Stations Face Smaller DTV-Coverage Areas

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:56:17 -0700

Bert, your rejoinder refers to cities of license, not television markets.
You need to start with this list
http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp note that it's
market #135, with 179,760 tv households (likely population more than 400,000
in the market)  This page http://www.tvb.org/nav/build_frameset.aspx shows
cable/ads penetration for market 135 (and all the others)

This page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington,_North_Carolina indicates
that the estimated 2007 population of Wilmington, NC was 99,623, with the
Wilmington, NC MSA (two counties) having a 2000 population of 274,532, so
the MSA (with these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington,_NC_MSA#Cities
cities) is significantly smaller than the Wilmington, NC, television market.

Also, here's something to keep in mind: television markets are defined by
and large (aside from hyphenated market, of which Wilmington, NC is not) by
where people buy things, as opposed to the (former) Arbitron "areas of
dominant influence" which used where signals are received.  You'd actually
be much better off using Arbitron data for your purposes.

So, you appear to be confused as to what is a city and what is a television
market, and your argument is ill-informed and half-baked.

Here's a hint: the FCC licenses broadcast facilities to "cities of license."
What you need to do, after determining the "reference coordinates" of
Wilmington, NC (generally the main post office as of 1970) using the census
gazetteer (or the "all populated places" database. Then do a search using
the FCC's web site to derive a list of all television stations within about
180 miles, and determine what market each television station is in, and the
network affiliation of each.  It's not something you can do with a few
clicks on a web browser, particularly where data doesn't match up due to
call sign or other changes.  It's best to be on the ground, since you can
then tune in signals.

Seems to me that Don Moore would know "something" about all this.

You might ask him and see if he's inclined to help you improve one of your
tendentious, ill-informed serial arguments.

Then, you can determine -- using the FCC's database and some of the
available software packages -- which of those stations provides a "strong
enough" signal to be viewable in portions of the Wilmington, NC, market.

John Willkie, who is a broadcast engineer, not somebody who tries to fake it
on the Internet.