[opendtv] Re: Martin: 15% of Stations Face Smaller DTV-Coverage Areas

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 08:01:08 -0400

In this Wilmington example especially, I say "nonsense."

Good choice of words Bert.

This is another classic case of the nonsense that you promulgate on this list on a regular basis. Do you ever read the stuff you post; or is it just a reading comprehension issue?

On 9/16 you posted a TV Technology article which stated:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/66538

Wilmington Lesson: Test the Boxes, People!!

But the day highlighted that by design, the DTV transition, will bring
winners and losers. NBC affiliate WECT moved to a new tower for DTV to
get better in-market coverage, and some out-of-market viewers in places
like Raleigh lost the signal. On the other hand, WILM, the CBS affiliate
owned by Raleigh DTV pioneer Capitol Broadcasting Co., switched from
low-power analog to full-power digital and should have much greater
coverage.

Let me see if I can make this a bit more clear.

Wilmington has four full power stations including affiliates of CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and PBS. The Raleigh/Durham market, which is about 119 miles away has 11 full power stations with all major network affiliates.

WECT chose to improve their IN-MARKET coverage, which resulted in a loss of OUT-OF-MARKET coverage. They lost some potential viewers in the Raleigh/Durham - a market that HAS an NBC affiliate. WILM chose to improve its coverage, going from low power analog to full power digital. They clearly will now offer duplicated CBS programming in adjacent markets.

So from this reality you come back with the following:

If NBC is unavailable OTA in a market, there's no "interference" going on at all for a consumer to go fetch NBC from an adjacent market. The only "interference" I can possibly imagine would be that the consumer is interfering with the local MVPD's desire to kill competing FOTA media.

It is obvious that there is no market-into-market competition (interference) if a market is not served with the programming. This is not the case for the discussion at hand. It IS the case for those in Wilmington who may want to access networks that are carried by Raleigh stations that are not available in Wilmington.

The MVPDS do not care about OTA competition. They do care about regulations that prevent them from importing out-of-market stations that might offer better carriage deals (retransmission consent payments) than the in-market station they are required to carry.

Once again, I view all of this from the European angle. European TV is built on a system of relatively low power translators, scattered hither thither and yon. Households are expected to aim their antennas at whatever translators best cover their location, and that is often NOT the translators that are geographically the closest.

Apples and Oranges. The Europeans have national networks with limited localized channels that are not protected on a market basis.

As far as I'm concerned, the same holds here, and that's what the FCC is thankfully concerning themselves about.

Sorry Bert, but stations DO expect you to watch the in-market signal. They cannot stop you from watching a Baltimore station in DC, but they can and do control their markets on the MVPDs, which account for 85% to 95% of their audience.