[opendtv] Re: Mark's Monday Memo - 2004 April 26

  • From: "Alan Roberts" <roberts.mugswell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:18:15 +0100

Please note that the "Digital Spy" story on HD and the BBC is isn't a
statement from the BBC, it's been cherry-picked from the BBC's original
submission to the Department of Culture, Media and Sport, on digital TV. You
can find the original document at:
http://www.culture.gov.uk/global/publications/archive_2004/bbc_report_on_digital_switchover.htm
The section that's been mis-quoted is in Part 5, paragraphs 104-109. If you
read it in that context, it's no more than an indication that HDTV's being
considered, but not pushed. Readers should definitely not take from it the
view that HD is being actively considered for broadcast by the BBC at
present, HD's a production medium that helps international sales, no more
than that.

I've emailed Neil Wilkes to ask who he got the quotes from, he hasn't
replied yet and I somehow don't think he will.