[opendtv] Re: MVPD and VOD; A Solution to Time-Shifting

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:43:16 -0700

The live channels are available live as they are recorded to the server.
The media is stored as it is being streamed so you can only VOD what was in
the past.  I don't have intimate knowledge of the system so I cannot say
how much programming or how many channels are stored but it sounded like a
lot.  I imagine they are using the regular MPEG-2 streams for their digital
tier.  But they also have special programming available on the VOD,
including shows that teach you how to gamble, naturally!

Dan

             "Manfredi, Albert
             E"
             <albert.e.manfred                                          To
             i@xxxxxxxxxx>             <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             opendtv-bounce@fr
             eelists.org                                           Subject
                                       [opendtv] Re: MVPD and VOD; A
                                       Solution to Time-Shifting
             06/30/2008 03:26
             PM

             Please respond to
             opendtv@freelists
                   .org

Dan Grimes wrote:

> Here in Las Vegas, there is a group under Cox Communications,
> the Hospitality Group, that offers programming to hotels.
> The system is not the usuall cable system.  They push digital
> content to servers in each of the hotels and offer the
> programming as VOD.  As I understand it, a full week's
> schedule of every channel (I don't know how many) is stored
> on the server and it all is available VOD and complete with a
> full programming guide.

Not including news and weather, I assume.

So my question is, can these shows be viewed anytime? For example, are
you saying that you can watch shows schedules for Thursday night on
Monday night? That would seem unlikely. But you never know.

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image