[opendtv] Re: MVPD and VOD; A Solution to Time-Shifting

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:50:02 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

You should be able to license content, but pointing a camera at the screen is a criminal matter, not merely a civil one.  Maybe the University will continue to pay your salary, but I suspect that's unlikely.

However, fair use 'generally' provides for using short exceprts for commentary, illustration, satire.  Education, IIRC, isn't part of that.

Does you university include warnings about copyright on student coin-op copiers?  San Diego State University has had them for more than 3 decades.  Funny that you would think that digital gives you a work around or putuative right that you don't have with paper copies.