[opendtv] Re: MVPD Definition

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 01:46:53 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

If what I said was "not true," then why are you contradicting
yourself now?

"We also seek comment on an alternative interpretation that would require a
programming distributor to have control over a transmission path to qualify as
an MVPD."

Because it is not true as I explained. The question above was
raised as is the tidal style of an FCC NPRM, because an affected
industry is claiming that they should be protected from the very
competition that the NPRM seeks to enable.

Again, talking out of both sides of your mouth, Craig. The MVPD industry is
using this definition, as I pointed out with quotes, and the FCC is asking
whether this definition should still hold. The fact that the FCC asks that
question, above, pretty much proves they know full well how the MVPDs define
themselves. I can't believe you're stubbornly holding onto you claim that this
is "not true." Clueless!

As I said, let's wait to see what the FCC decides.

Okay, meaning let's not pretend to know what a VMVPD is, or to classify Sling
TV as one, obtusely.

Yes, linear streams from multiple content sources has been the
basis of the definition for decades.

Uuuuh, you mean, before any other options were technically feasible? Like I
said, Craig, "channels" also carry VOD in these MVPDs, and have done so for
many years. Seems clear to me that the FCC wants to require "linear streams"
only because they believe their previous language, "channels," implied as much.
Not the case anymore.

OTT simply referees to ANY service that delivers video over
the Internet - it is the top down catch-all. And I doubt that
the FCC is going to expand the definition of an MVPD to say a
server that lets you access a bunch of webcams.

Which is the only definition that makes any technical sense anymore, Craig. Any
Internet site that sells TV program streams, live and/or on demand, with
subscription fee. The more time passes, the more any insistence on "linear"
will become anachronistic - i.e. meaningless.

Anyway, I don't think this matters a wit. It's the CEOs of the congloms that
are willingly trying new formulas. There's no need for the govt to coerce
congloms into making content available, with some drummed-up new definition.