[opendtv] Re: MPEG2 TS serial interface

  • From: Steve Wilson <stevenjwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:39:15 -0400

Ron, In serial mode, is the first bit out the MSB or the LSB (or programmable maybe), do you know?
Is there a complete definition of the interface floating around anywhere?
Thanks, Steve

"The de-facto standard are these Transport input and output interfaces between demodulator, decoder and for what I do, encoder chips. At work we just call them "4-wire" of "3-wire" depending on whether both sync and data valid are required or just sync. Decoder chips tend to use "3-wire" on the Transport input (which counts the bits after sync, so data valid is redundant). "

Ron Economos wrote:
My bad. I got my serial and parallel TS interfaces mixed
up. I guess not enough coffee when I made that post! The
LVDS interface I mentioned is really DVB-SPI. It uses a
DB-25 connector and for short runs, a standard computer
cable with DB-25's will work. For longer runs, I suppose the
LVDS pairs should be twisted and impedance controlled.

DVB-SSI is not used much at all since most applications
can use DVB-ASI instead. DVB-SSI uses coax or fiber
and bi-phase mark encoding.

Ron

Steve Wilson wrote:

Ron - That Samsung doc is good enough - thanks. I figured thats what it looked like, but I needed some confirmation. I have the DVB interface spec E500083-9, but its the 1997 version and it seems like this serial interface is or is like DVB-SSI. But the doc doesnt have timing. There is a 2002 version - maybe it does.
Is the defacto-std supposed to be DVB-SSI do you know? Thanks again

Ron Economos wrote:

The data sheet for the Samsung S5H1409 demodulator has timing
diagrams at the end. Basically, it's clock, data, data valid and sync
(to mark the beginning of the TS packet).

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/SystemLSI/DigitalMedia/D_n_VASSP/D_TV_DigitalTV/S5H1409/rs_s5h1409_rev13.pdf

The LVDS version of this interface is actually a de-facto standard. You can get a converter from LVDS to DVB-ASI from these guys.

http://www.enensys.com

Ron

Steve Wilson wrote:

What comes out of a tuner/decoder in serial mode. I found a "datasheet" for an MT352 channel decoder, but its pretty light on information. It was bought by Intel and their datasheet is exactly the same, but it says "Intel" on it. I have calls into Fujitsu and LSI as some of their MPEG related parts have a serial IF, but that could take days...if ever, to get something.

Maybe someone has an electronic copy of an old spec thats not confidential....

Rod Hewitt wrote:

What type of serial MPEG-2 interface? What comes out of a tuner in serial
mode or something like the DVB-ASI serial interface?

Rod