[opendtv] Re: MPEG2 HD creation on a Mac

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 06:37:13 -0400

At 11:20 AM -0400 5/5/05, John Golitsis wrote:
>I'm still pretty green when it comes to the world of the Macintosh,
>so I thought I'd ask here.  I'm working with Final Cut Express HD (we
>also have a copy of FCP on another machine) and I want to create
>1280x720 MPEG2 output.  There doesn't seem to be a CODEC for this
>included, nor does it seem like Apple has one available.  Does anyone
>know of a 3rd party?

Apple does provide MPEG-2 encoding tools as part of their DVD
authoring applications, but not as part of QuickTime; this probably
has something to do with the royalty on encoders. And I am not
certain if they support MP@HL in iDVD or DVD StudioPro.

One of the best third party softwareMPEG-2 encoders for the Mac is
from Heuris. MPEG Power Professional - DTV HD fully supports MP@HL as
well as MP@ML encoding. But it is not cheap ($4785 retail).  They
have a demo version for download that you may be able to play with.

http://www.heuris.com/MPEGProducts/