[opendtv] Re: MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:59:21 -0700

The right to record and play back a show is certainly not a human right and
I wouldn't go as far as even a civil right.  But I thought that the courts
have always upheld the right for a person to record and play back a program
for their viewing pleasure.  Wasn't that the result of the VHS suit oh so
long ago?  Or was that just for programming received OTA and not an MVPD?

Dan

             John Willkie
             <johnwillkie@eart
             hlink.net>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
             opendtv-bounce@fr         opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             eelists.org                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             06/25/2008 10:13          [opendtv] Re: MPAA wants to stop
             AM                        DVRs from recording some movies

             Please respond to
             opendtv@freelists
                   .org

'helping the DTV transition" seems like a stretch -- hunting for a 'news
peg.'

But, exactly what "right" would this infringe on?

And, was this right granted by God or Satan (arguably both create human
rights) or is it one granted by government (a civil right).  And, could you
point me to the definitive link where this right is specified?

I think you might find that you have a limited right to view content
through a MVPD, and sometimes, you have the right to store that content,
although in many cases this is actually more rights than granted by the
distributor to the MVPD.

Want to hear a fun one?  A nieghbor of mine without any IT experience,
using only an Internet connection, has replaced WindowsXP on his laptop,
first with obutu, then SUSE Linux.  He saw the new Indiana Jones movie (I
didn't ask if it was a camcorder version) less than 10 days after release.
And, he hasn't paid for anything except his share of my 1.8 mb/sec Internet
connection.

John Willkie

GIF image

GIF image