[opendtv] Re: Louisiana governor blasts faulty wireless networks

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:00:51 -0700

Al;

Having paid just a little bit of attention to the falling of towers over the
decades, and having talked to more than a few tower riggers, I note the few
broadcast towers that fell this time.  Clear Channel lost stations in New
Orleans, but it had to do with the tx sites being under water, not the state
of their towers.

Broadcast towers that fall during hurricanes -- a rare occurrence -- usually
are towers still under construction, or old, unmaintained towers, or were
badly and cheaply designed in the first place. And, there are a very few
exceptions.  And, I should note that most radio stations and virtually all
tv stations have more than one tower, when one factors in studio sites,
relay points, ect.

I paid close attention -- from a safe distance away -- about the
communications situation in New Orleans.  Cellular and Blackberry were
jammed on Monday and Tuesday.  On Tuesday, cellular started going down, as
batteries failed.   It's inaccurate -- from all I've heard, even the FCC
proceeding last week -- that cell service went down under the hurricane
(with some exceptions) due to tower failure.

I also note that late last week, the government officially denied that any
FEMA employee took down or off the air any public service transmission
facility.  The demons of Louis Farrakan be damned ...