[opendtv] Re: Linx no more?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:55:48 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> I was looking for Linx Electronics today to see what their latest ATSC
> offerings were, and I got redirected to
> http://www.micronas.com instead.  I
> know they bought Linx in May, but there is no mention of any
> ATSC products whatsoever on the Micronas web site.

Strange. My take is that the web site was not updated wrt product
offerings? Because press release of the merger does allude to the
Casper chip.

> Is the Linx 4th generation chip history?  Does that leave
> Zenith as the one
> remaining player in the advanced chipset field?

Well, check out the qualifications for new job applicants:

http://www.micronas.com/company/career/search/details/index.php?ID=3D176&=
l=3D1&loc=3D0&cat=3D0

(I'm sure that long link will get clobbered.)

"Idealerweise bringen Sie bereits Berufserfahrung in
Modulationsverfahren, wie QAM, QPSK oder VSB, und in
=DCbertragungsstandards, wie DVB, ATSC oder ISDB, mit."

And you need to know written and spoken English too, it says. So
I'd say that Micronas wants to compete in the ATSC market. But
they don't list COFDM among the modulation schemes they're
interested in(!). I suppose someone might want to extrapolate
on that too?

The Micronas press release below.

http://www.micronas.com/press/pressreleases/pressrelease.php?s=3D1&ID=3D3=
56&year=3D2004&lang=3D1

Zurich, Switzerland, May 14, 2004 - Micronas today announced
that it has signed an agreement to acquire LINX Electronics, Inc.,
a fabless semiconductor company that develops innovative digital
television solutions for improved reception of high-definition
television (HDTV) signals. This transaction, which is expected to
be completed in June 2004, will enable Micronas to further expand
its comprehensive TV system solutions portfolio.

The purchase price of approximately USD 26 million will be paid in
cash and Micronas' shares. Chicago-based LINX Electronics employs
a highly acclaimed HDTV technology team of about 20 engineers and
brings complementary technology to Micronas. The purchase includes
all development activities and patents held by LINX Electronics.

"With this acquisition we have taken another decisive step forward
in our digital TV business, strengthening our position in the TV
market and providing increased value and services for our
customers," said Micronas' vice president consumer products unit,
Hans-Juergen D=E9sor. "Our existing strength in Digital Video
Broadcast (DVB) technology, combined with the expertise gained with
this acquisition, puts us in the excellent position to shape the
era of global migration from analog to digital TV."

"HDTV is a reality now! Our technology enables an exciting new TV
experience," explained Wayne Li, co-founder of LINX Electronics. "As
part of the Micronas Group, we will be able to better serve these
markets by offering manufacturers innovative and comprehensive
system solutions for their future applications."

Since the late 1980s, the global economic superpowers have been in a
race to bring digital TV to the consumer market. Three international
standards have been created: US-ATSC (Advanced Television Systems
Committee), Europe-DVB (Digital Video Broadcast), and Japan-ISDB
(Integrated Services Digital Broadcasting). The US is currently the
largest HDTV market, with deployment accelerating due to a phase-in
plan mandated by the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
requiring TV manufacturers to integrate digital TV tuners into nearly
all their TV products by 2007. LINX Electronics has developed a
breakthrough ATSC compliant receiver technology that delivers superior
reception to more consumers. Typical applications include HDTVs,
set-top boxes, personal video recorders (PVRs), DVD recorders as well
as PC tuner cards. LINX Electronics has a solid background in
addressing new digital TV broadcasting formats.