[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 19:14:54 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> At 11:50 PM -0400 5/16/05, Tom Barry wrote:
>
>>I think any backers would have had to buy into that same football
>>liability.  Meanwhile some of the Freeview success may have been
>>due to the initial purchase price and terms.
>>

> There is NOTHING difficult to understand here. It is being repeated
> in the US bu USDTV.
>
> When offered a pared down multichannel service at a pared down price
> the market is limited, as first you must find people who are willing
> to pay, but not willing to pay a bit more for a service with more
> content. In the case of OnDigital versus BSkyB, Sky was winning.
>
> When Freeview offered a pared down service for FREE, the dynamics
> changed entirely.

But the ABILITY to offer a not too badly pared down service for
free may have depended somewhat on decreased startup costs in
picking up the skeleton of OnDigital on good terms.

> USDTV is facing the same challenge, not to mention the ATSC reception
> challenge. They are not competitive because they do not offer the
> channels that many people want.

Actually I'll wager a six pack of beer that USDTV would become a
success with their current price and offering if they just had
Cold Fusion plug and play receivers.

- Tom