[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: "Stephen W. Long" <longsw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 19:01:34 -0400

I have an agenda.  I want the replacement for NTSC to be able to be
received by people hiding in their basements when the $%^&*() hits the fan
and folks like me have to go outside, sort out the mess, and take the fight
to the folks that cause us so much grief.

When the tornado moved within a mile of my house in No. Va. last year I
moved my family into the basement and we watched OTA NTSC TV for pictures
and graphics of the path of the storm.  The NTSC pictures were very
viewable, using just rabbit ears on the set in the basement.

Our DirecTV reception was out due to heavy cloud cover and rain.

In the official tests of ATSC in my house, the large reflections of signal
from the hill behind my house killed any viable 8VSB reception.

My recent technology HD Tivo with a 3rd? or 4th? generation 8VSB chip is
basically unwatchable.  The 8VSB signals drop out so often that programs
are just unwatchable.  I have tried using my roof mounted antenna and
rabbit ears.  Just crap reception.

My agenda is simple, I just want it to work.