[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 17:35:04 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

> Yes indeed. That's the point I have been trying to make
> to Mr. Shutt, evidently with no success.

A PBS affiliate in Lansing, Michigan can magically make receivers appear
where Mr. Miller cannot?  Interesting.  Solict $300 pledges to give away
$250 STBs that don't exist?  Interesting.

> I, for one, applaud your efforts in this regard. Others
> prefer to sit back and just blame the standard.

The standard is to blame if after over 6 years a working receiver cannot be
built.

> As to mobility. Frank Eory tested a 1st gen Motorola at
> speeds up to 65 mph, IIRC.

Where is it?  Let's see it in a product?  Oh sorry, PBS has to commission a
receiver to be given away as pledge premiums first.

>And there was that 2-VSB
> mobile test in Las Vegas a couple of years ago, with
> zero zip convolutional FEC. That's the one where Kon
> showed that a small movement of the van, when the van
> was stationary in a deep signal null, was enough to
> restore the signal. Diversity antennas would have done
> the same thing, without moving the van.

That Linz 2-VSB demonstration had a total bit payload of 9 Mbps.  That would
make Dr. McDonald very happy.

http://bg.broadcastengineering.com/ar/broadcasting_microsoft_linx_electronics/
"In Las Vegas, KFBT-DT (on Channel 29's)digital facility will transmit a
multiplexed 6 Mbps HDTV (720p) and signal a "live" 1.5 Mb/s SDTV (encoded
with TANDBERG hardware) of the KFBT on-air product. According to those close
to the demonstration, the 2-VSB datastream will have a total payload of 9
Mbps."

COFDM and DVB-T could duplicate LINX's feat in 1999, with a much higher
payload.  Dream on.

>And the tradeoff
> between lower modulation modes, like 2-VSB, and higher
> modes with greater convolutional FEC, like regular 8-VSB
> or the even more extreme E-VSB approach, was never made.
> Good use of the existing PN training sequence, coupled
> with symmetric echo tolerance of the newer gen receivers,
> should be just what the doctor ordered.

COFDM and DVB-T works today.  It worked in 1999.  It is a worldwide standard
with worldwide support.  8-VSB is behind the power curve and always will be.

> Oh, and my agenda is for a DTT system that works and
> offers reasonably good programming. If broadcasters are
> happy to let their popular shows go elsewhere, I'm not
> very sympathetic with lame excuses about modulation.

How about lame excuses for not even viewing a web video, or taking someone
up on an offer to loan you an 8-VSB receiver so you could have some first
hand knowledge of what you are talking about.

John