[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 17:11:22 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> I was on the phone with Linx minutes after I first heard
> of their test in Chicago. When Sinclair told us to look
> at the latest 5th gen receiver from LG we were on the
> phone with them and Hisense within the hour and before
> we even tested. When Mark Aitken says something is worth
> looking at I believe him though it was a painful process.
>
> We are the only entity that is actively testing 8-VSB
> receivers today. Doesn't it strike anyone as odd that a
> start-up is the only company looking for decent 8-VSB
> receivers.

Yes indeed. That's the point I have been trying to make
to Mr. Shutt, evidently with no success.

> I have been in DC three times in the last few weeks and
> Congress has NO interest in this problem. The FCC is
> looking into receiver issues? Broadcasters other than
> Sinclair?
>
> I have a painful time just getting the attention of LG
> or other companies who are in the process of producing
> these receivers. None of them seem to have a clue or
> care that there is a problem.
>
> The simple truth is that very few people are interested
> in OTA in the US.

I, for one, applaud your efforts in this regard. Others
prefer to sit back and just blame the standard.

As to mobility. Frank Eory tested a 1st gen Motorola at
speeds up to 65 mph, IIRC. And there was that 2-VSB
mobile test in Las Vegas a couple of years ago, with
zero zip convolutional FEC. That's the one where Kon
showed that a small movement of the van, when the van
was stationary in a deep signal null, was enough to
restore the signal. Diversity antennas would have done
the same thing, without moving the van. And the tradeoff
between lower modulation modes, like 2-VSB, and higher
modes with greater convolutional FEC, like regular 8-VSB
or the even more extreme E-VSB approach, was never made.
Good use of the existing PN training sequence, coupled
with symmetric echo tolerance of the newer gen receivers,
should be just what the doctor ordered.

Oh, and my agenda is for a DTT system that works and
offers reasonably good programming. If broadcasters are
happy to let their popular shows go elsewhere, I'm not
very sympathetic with lame excuses about modulation.