[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:34:10 -0400

John,

The feats I'd like to see repeated by a commercially available ATSC receiver
is to be able to attach a bowtie antenna to a broomstick and be able to
waive it about a room and not lose reception.  To be able to simply place an
antenna on top of the TV and have it work.  To be able to set a TV set down
in the kitchen, pull out the rod antenna, and get all the OTA channels
without fussing with the aerial or adding tin foil.

I am NOT advocating a mobile reception business model.  Mobile is just the
acid test that gets us everything else.

Frank is free to load up his receiver into a van, drive around Manhattan,
and videotape the results.  The 8-VSB transmitters are already in place, and
are over 100 watts ERP.

John