[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:28:12 -0400

Bert,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

> If I read this right, you are professing here that the future
> of OTA TV depends only on mobile reception? If so, you can
> kiss goodbye to OTA and FOTA TV right now. Save yourself the
> agony of defeat.

Yup.  Not mobile as a business model, but mobile as an acid test of a
delivery system.  Future OTA will rely upon simple fixed indoor antenna that
do not need to be reaimed for each station.  Mobile reception is a handy
test for dynamic multipath handling.

>> By the way, PBS member stations and the NCTA already signed
>> a landmark agreement to have all subchannels carried on
>> cable nationwide.  So we already did "force" cable carriage.
>
> Wonderful. Now go ahead and shut down the OTA transmitters.
> (Oh, I forgot. They're only there to get cable carriage.)

Again, yup.  So you can go away and not bother with this list anymore, you
already have cable.  What OTA digital format we use is of no concern to you
or anyone else, as long as DTV is treated simply as a place holder.  It
could be so much more, but it won't be with ATSC.

John