[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:24:41 -0400

My agenda has been a decent fixed receiver and a decent mobile receiver.
I have stated as long ago as June of 1999 that I would be ecstatic if
there was a decent 8-VSB receiver even if for only fixed reception. We
have looked at every possibility that has come along. I was on the phone
with Linx minutes after I first heard of their test in Chicago. When
Sinclair told us to look at the latest 5th gen receiver from LG we were
on the phone with them and Hisense within the hour and before we even
tested. When Mark Aitken says something is worth looking at I believe
him though it was a painful process.

We are the only entity that is actively testing 8-VSB receivers today.
Doesn't it strike anyone as odd that a start-up is the only company
looking for decent 8-VSB receivers. I have been in DC three times in the
last few weeks and Congress has NO interest in this problem. The FCC is
looking into receiver issues? Broadcasters other than Sinclair?

I have a painful time just getting the attention of LG or other
companies who are in the process of producing these receivers. None of
them seem to have a clue or care that there is a problem.

The simple truth is that very few people are interested in OTA in the
US. I would say that could present an opportunity. Look at Emmis. A few
months ago they were pushing OTA broadcasting like no one else. Now they
are selling off their TV station.

Bob Miller