[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 03:56:45 -0400

Kon Wilms wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 02:24 -0400, Tom Barry wrote:
>
>>there may be problems
>>with current new AVC silicon decoders.
>

> This is how bad rumors get started. No-one has backed any of this up
> with facts.
>
> Cheers
> Kon

Sorry, guilty as charged.  Though I'd certainly like to hear more
about the issue let me clarify I was just referring to Ron's post
and have no other knowledge of these purported problems.  I think
the way I stated it could have been taken otherwise.

Though I can state I do own an Avel Linkplayer2 which appears to
do a reasonable job of hardware decoding WMV9/HD as long as it is
not DRM'd and doesn't contain WMA Pro.  But not AVC.  :(

- Tom

(in pain, on medication, and heading to the oral surgeon for
multiple extractions first thing in the morning.  Usual jokes
about my medications DO APPLY in this case!  :( :( :( :( :( )