[opendtv] Re: Let the games begin

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 18:33:43 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> I didn't spell it out but all the conversations I have been
> privey to suggest that broadcasters would be using MPEG4
> with any A-VSB robust mode which makes all current receivers
> incompatible.

Well, then that's a completely different discussion, isn't it. We were
talking about the technical aspects of A-VSB, not how some particular
broadcasters might want to use it.

Clearly, as we've discussed for many years, there is nothing that makes
8-VSB incompatible with MPEG-4/AVC. These are only implementation
issues, not technical ones. Anyone can make life difficult for TV
viewers, no matter what modulation standard is used.

Here's the way I look at it. In the US, we can all enjoy HDTV today. In
Europe, what HDTV there is OTA is incompatible with virtually all
receivers in consumers' homes. By contrast, in Europe, the DTT stream
can be adjusted for robustness compatibly, whereas in the US it cannot
yet.

So compatibility issues are by no means the sole province of ATSC.

> If you have all of 1.5 Mbps who is going to use MPEG2 with
> that?

For Moviebeam? These are file transfers not meant to be consumed in real
time. That is what we were talking about. Besides which, a Moviebeam
service is perfectly capable of using AVC in its files, since they also
provide the receiver box.

I'm saying, that 1.5 Mb/s, using let's say A-VSB in 1/4 rate STS mode,
does not in any way make the remaining 13 Mb/s less robust or
incompatible with all existing receivers. And, of course, that is only
the worst case example.