[opendtv] Re: Let the games begin

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 18:11:22 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

> [The LG prototype] set the gold standard for VSB reception,
> which is not duplicated by available 5G products, including
> those from Zenith/LG. Granted, the new 5G products do provide
> improved performance but whether that is good enough depends
> upon where one lives.

I think you're being overly pessimistic. Even in the Schubin abode,
antenna placement on the window sill makes the dumbed down 5th gen
receivers usable. It's not like they are worthless. Even in that
location, which epitomizes everything that was bad about 8-VSB initially
(close in to transmitters, indoor reception, lots of ghost energy,
dynamci echo caused by traffic).

> Mark Schubin would say no and remember; he receives acceptable
> NTSC reception with rabbit ears. Of course we know that the
> major difference is in the RF front-end design but the
> question still remains, why did Zenith again demonstrate a
> "solution" product that they did not intend to bring to market?

I, for one, am glad they did. Because now we all know it can be done.
And we can happily speculate that if they don't market such a product,
they are in bed with the big bad monopolies that like to bamboozle
people into becoming dependent on them.

Similarly, I think, isn't it interesting how Samsung didn't put their
landmark decoder in their new STB? I'd like to know how much they saved
with this move, and what made them and LG decide that a particular level
of performance, which in Mark Schubin's apartment translates to "rabbit
ear antenna on window sill," is considered "good enough." That seems to
be where the DTT receiver manufacturers are converging.

On the other hand, seems to me that as ATSC DTT receivers have been
improving, the Euro ones have been cheapened over the years. And I mean,
not just lower cost, but cheaper tuners as well. I'd love to see a
proper comparison made, with the newest from both sides of the pond, at
the same spectral efficiencies, with A-VSB modes added in, to give the
ATSC receivers some measure of adjustment.

As things are now, in terms of Mark Schubin's reception, the tradeoff is
either watchable NTSC with antenna sitting physically over the TV set,
or "perfect" HDTV and multicasts with the antenna on the window sill.
Personally, I would view that as a no-brainer choice.

In my case, instead, DTT with a 3rd gen receiver has made most of the
Baltimore channels completely usable, whereas with NTSC they simply are
not. Most especially not with rabbit ears.