[opendtv] Re: Let the games begin

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:31:56 -0500

dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
        The LG/Zenith "cold fusion" receiver design was the latest in a
long line of Red Herring products announced or developed to obfuscate the
8VSB reception debate. It set the gold standard for VSB reception, which is
not duplicated by available 5G products, including those from Zenith/LG.
Granted, the new 5G products do provide improved performance but whether
that is good enough depends upon where one lives. Mark Schubin would say no
and remember; he receives acceptable NTSC reception with rabbit ears.
You may have information that I don't, but I cannot say that the new INTEGRATED LG sets are not as good as the box I tested. No one has brought any integrated set here. It's a little tough to schlep them into my bedroom. I can report only that no non-integrated receiver has yet performed as well as the 5th-generation LG prototype, still the only box to have received stable DTT on all Manhattan channels (roughly 2 miles away) with a set-top antenna.

TTFN,
Mark