[opendtv] Re: Let the Browser do it

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 20:23:35 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I though you might at least show some inters in just how intimate
> servers and devices will be when HTML5 is fully implemented.

You mean, I should gush about the hype? This is no different from any other new
scheme. The trade press gushes about advantages and ignores disadvantages. Real
engineers then get to work and design products that make sense. And eventually
the hype meets reality.

Device makers will be deciding just how "intimate" they want to be with the
servers. Some designers will make bad decisions and will fail in the
marketplace. And then people will attribute the failure to any number of wrong
reasons.

> Apple did what was best for it's new platform;

> Very inefficient decoding of their proprietary video codec

Oh, you mean H.264 used by Flash for many years now? Are we still not past this?

> you do not need to get in bed with the congloms. You can invest
> hundreds of millions to create high value content and compete with
> the congloms.

If "you" represents the device makers, TV manufacturers, tablet makers, PC
makers, etc., then there's never any reason for them to get in bed with
congloms, nor is there any reason to believe they need to produce their own
content. I have no idea where this supposed requirement ever came from.

As long as I've owned radios, TVs, PVRs, PCs, tablets, and telephones, the
manufacturer of these devices have never needed to be in bed with the owners of
the content they were consuming. Never. Why we should suddenly be made to
believe that this can no longer be true is beyond me.