[opendtv] Re: Lesson of high-def DVD war: It's the ecosystem, stupid

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:19:51 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
John Golitsis wrote:

How is Blu-ray the better format, exactly?

The disc capacity is ultimately what matters most, I think.

What matters most is that virtually all the movie companies
have chosen Blu-Ray to release their films with. Warner
switched to it a few days before CES.

Also, Toshiba appears to be the only manufacturer of HD-DVD
players so far as I can find on store shelves.

It's the same story as Beta vs. VHS. HD-DVD might be better
technically in some respects, but with the movie makers behind it, Blu-Ray will be the winner.