[opendtv] Re: Lesson of high-def DVD war: It's the ecosystem, stupid

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:57:13 -0800

My bet is on the fact that HD-DVD protection was 'broken' so quickly.
Unlike Blu-Ray which still has tricks up it's sleeve. But for studios
to run to the one format they believe to be secure -- big mistake.
Hackers concentrated on HD-DVD from the onset because the hardware
available was the cheapest and most readily available i.e. the Xbox
360 HD-DVD USB drive. By eliminating one of two formats and driving
down the price of BD-ROM drives with promotions and complete
elimination of dual format hardware, they are digging their own grave.
The hacking community now has no other option than to go full steam
ahead against Blu-Ray. And in that regard, Sony did themselves in by
supporting Linux on the PS3.

Maybe some day the studios will figure out that they need to explore
different options for content distribution vs. plastic discs. And by
that I mean real alternatives, not these flash-in-the-pan 'we want to
compete with iTunes' efforts like Hulu.

Cheers
Kon