[opendtv] Re: Legacy receivers

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:04:55 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> The original onDigital boxes were provided to viewers free of
> charge as part of their onDigital subscription fee. When the
> service went bankrupt, creditors tried to charge 40 GBP to
> viewers or force them to return the boxes, but in the end the
> viewers were allowed to keep them gratis.
>
> If the UK goes to 8K and obsoletes these boxes, nobody is out
> any money.

John, what I think you mean is, in the UK the people who paid for the
ONdigital boxes already got ripped off, so it doesn't matter.

Okay, I suppose that's one way to look at it. Still, it is a scenario
that is likely to repeat itself from time to time.

Even happened with NTSC, to a minor extent. Examples are stereo sound
(Radio Shack actually marketed a stereo MTS tuner for a time, back when)
and with closed captioning.