[opendtv] Re: Learning From the Veterans - local news in HD

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 07:39:17 -0400

To the best of my knowledge, no one does live pan-&-scan, which would, in any case, violate the director's intent.

TTFN,
Mark

On 4/29/2010 8:15 PM, Albert Manfredi wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:

YEAH!
He finally gets it.

See, Craig, my repeated aggravation is caused by the fact that you didn't read carefully
enough to see I got it all along. It's more fun to say "this is not correct"
than to pay attention.

Sorry.

Cliff Benham wrote:

For Flyers home games, the main HD cameramen
don't zoom in to get tight shots; they don't
use their viewfinders much either, but instead
set up a medium long shot and mostly follow
the action on the ice by standing on a riser
so they are looking over the top of the camera
and keep it pointed in the general area of the
action. The shots and pans are smooth and allow
a great view of the game for those at home with
an HD TV set.

Perfect! That's what wide screen HD should look like.

Now, if they wanted to use that same camera output also for the 4:3 SD feed, my
contention is, they could do so if they panned-scanned that HD feed. (I don't
know the mechanics of pan-scan. Does someone on a console do this?)

The sides would not be common with the HD, but at least those with small analog
sets could still follow the action. Or, as Craig suggests, forget them and let
the puck disappear.