[opendtv] Re: Learning From the Veterans - local news in HD

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:25:37 -0400

On 4/27/2010 11:49 AM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
I wonder what the penetration of 16:9 TVs is these days.
Depending on who's numbers you choose, it's roughly 50% of U.S. households and in the vicinity of 25% of U.S. TVs.

  This concern about viewers using 4:3 sets should be rapidly waning.
Not so rapid, I'm afraid.

Also, I think it's great to see that FINALLY some are talking about
transmitting wide screen SDTV. And I wish that when they did so, they did it
using anamorphic, instead of requiring the user to zoom in on a postage stamp
image. (And then zoom out again when switching channels.) Since all DTVs and
STBs accept anamorphic SD, I don't understand why it's not used.
The majority of TVs in the U.S. are fed analog signals from cable and satellite set-top boxes.

TTFN,
Mark