[opendtv] Re: Layoffs sweep TV networks and their affiliates

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:11:25 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> MUDD: Well, no, it's not good. What's happened, of course,
>> that - not to single out one or the other, but the anchors'
>> salaries are so huge that the news divisions are cutting
>> back and they don't have the money anymore to do anything.
>> News coverage has been cut back. Salaries are out of
>> control, but the competition is so intense that they're
>> forced to pay that money.
>
> Fortunately, we are not forced to watch them anymore.

I never did understand the cult of the individual. The TV newscasts I
find most interesting don't seem to have to rely on any star-quality
anchors at all. (BBC, TF1, France 24, and NPR for radio.)

From my DTT perspective, I can see a possible change in the way TV
newscasts are structured that would make them much more competitive with
other sources of news. And cheaper. As a matter of fact, our local ABC7
station is perhaps leading the way.

The 7-2 multicast is a weather channel. In fact, it is a weather and
news channel. Along with the weather display is a window with other
content, including news. And at least some of the time, the audio is a
straight simulcast of the local 24-hour radio news station WTOP. Nothing
wrong with that.

In order to compete with other news sources, TV needs to provide a
number -- small number per market -- of constant news sources. So you
can tune in any time and get the latest. And there is no need for stars.
The way 7-2 does news should work just fine, with some fine tuning.

Then comes the next step. Once you've created these 24-hour news and
weather multicasts, why do you need to pay the millions it takes for a
star-studded evening news program anymore? Replace that time slot with
something more people do want from TV. And the news and weather
multicast could even be advertized on the station's other multicasts.
What a concept! Advertizing one's own content instead of keeping it a
tightly held secret!

So  perhaps this is simply an evolutionary change that has been a long
time coming.

I wonder if major league sports will go through the same evolution? It
should, IMO.