[opendtv] Re: Lawmakers Establish 2009 Deadline for Analog TV Phaseout

  • From: "Stephen W. Long" <longsw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:51:00 -0500

The magic about 19.34 was that 540/60i (called 1080i by some) needs every
bit and more - I've seen papers that say you need 22Mbps to compensate for
the noise caused by interlace.  720/60p provides significantly better
pictures at lower bit rates.
720/60p will do well all the way down to 14Mbps (with current generation
encoders).  I do not recall the details, but there was a robust modulation
approach proposed that would deliver 14Mbps and be robust enough for true
mobile applications.

 The folks supporting 8VSB and 540/60i were are cut out of the same cloth -
protect their IPR against anything that makes sense for the country.  Greed
over National interest.