[opendtv] Re: Lawmakers Establish 2009 Deadline for Analog TV Phaseout

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:53:38 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Golitsis" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> There is something seriously wrong with you.
>
> On 22-Dec-05, at 10:41 AM, Bob Miller wrote:
>
>> Another reason to switch to COFDM?

No there isn't.  There is still something seriously wrong with ATSC.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/dlrf/one.php?id=1111

Philips Introduces DVB-H Front-End Solution for U.S. Market

Philips Electronics last week introduced a complete DVB-HDTV [sic] front-end
receiver solution for the U.S. market. The BGT211 features low-power
consumption and does not require any external components. The DVB-H receiver
is designed for use with DVB-H systems such as the one being constructed
United States by Crown Castle. This follows Philips' introduction of a
complete TV-on-mobile solution for Europe. Philips is currently sampling the
BGT211 receiver to top cellular phone and small portable TV device
manufacturers.

Will Strauss, president and technology analyst at Forward Concepts, said,
"Philips is paving the way for TV-on-mobile, enabling consumers to connect
to live TV, as well as pictures, movies and music, all while on the move."

He explained that by supporting the most widely accepted standards in
TV-on-mobile, DVB-H and Digital Video Broadcast, Philips would be furthering
global standardization efforts.

Michael Schueppert, president of Crown Castle Mobile Media, said, "We
believe Crown Castle Mobile Media's ownership of unencumbered nationwide
spectrum will make our planned deployment of a high quality, reliable DVB-H
network possible in the United States. We also have unique expertise across
wireless network, broadcast and content platform operation that is necessary
to bring this innovative rich media service to market."

Crown Castle Mobile Media anticipates delivering live video and audio
programming to consumer handsets, laptops and portable media players in
major markets.