[opendtv] Re: Latest 5th Gen

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:27:04 -0500

Craig,

If we had a simple plug and play DTV system, that was capable of portable
and mobile as well as delivering HD to fixed receivers, it would be just as
powerful as NTSC.

DTV Must Carry is already part of the rules.  Whenever a station turns off
it's NTSC, either voluntarily or after the dreaded cutoff date, Must Carry
of their primary program stream is assured.  Status Quo.

If NTSC is the goose that laid the golden eggs, then ATSC simply laid an
egg.

If the CEA wanted to sell lots and lots of pretty, big, and expensive HD
displays, then a workable DTV system would help, not hurt that cause.
Digital Broadcasting Australia shows on their website HD STBs offered for
sale by no fewer than 14 different manufacturers.  Not 14 different models,
FOURTEEN DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS. (25 different manufacturers when SD only
boxes are included!), Most of the HD STBs are priced at around $700 AU,
which is less than $550 US.  This in a market of 14 million PEOPLE, not
households.  It's insane that we're still sticking with ATSC after all those
"the next generation will be the magic one" promises.

The NAB decided to stay with ATSC rather than fight it out over changing the
DTV system because 1] They truly believed that the receiver problem was an
easy fix (after all, look at the European system, and digital is digital,
right? Can't be that hard.) and 2] Congress was salivating over the untold
Billions that a spectrum auction would bring, and threatened the
broadcasters with new legislation giving free air time to all candidates as
part of a "campaign finance reform" package if the broadcasters dared to
rock the boat and delay the transition.  Little did they know that the delay
would be due to the uncontrollable part of the equation, the manufacturers.

Look, Craig, Bert, and everybody else, the free market is the most powerful
and efficient system in the world to allocate resources.  If a nation of 14
million people with a unique DTV system (DVB-T, HD, 7 MHz channels) can have
14 different manufacturers vying to sell them High Definition DTV STBs, then
surely those same 14 companies and more would be crawling over each other to
break into the US market with 300 Million people.  But they're not.  Why
not?  Because they know how difficult (read: expensive) it is to build an
ATSC box that actually is plug and play.  They aren't stupid.  They have
labs.  They can build prototypes and mess around with them.  And they know a
money sinkhole when they see one.

The point is, almost 6 years later we're still waiting for 1999 COFDM
performance out of an ATSC box, but we will never get it because ATSC isn't
capable of portable, mobile, or low power (consumption) operation.  Maybe
with Representative Tauzin out of the picture, Congress can finally see that
no matter how many times LG demos a prototype box, unless it can be made
economically, and by many vendors, then they aren't going to be made,
period.

It's disgusting that it comes down to someone like Bert arguing for ATSC
when he hasn't even tried one yet.  That's like a virgin arguing the finer
points of the Kama Sutra.  Meanwhile, we have people like Bob Miller, and
Sinclair Broadcasting, who have seen both side by side and know exactly how
many light-years COFDM is ahead of 8-VSB, yet are dismissed out of hand.

But no, let's stay the course.  I do believe that may be an iceberg ahead,
Captain Smith...

John
(The definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over, expecting
different results.)