[opendtv] Re: Latest 5th Gen

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:29:59 -0500

>It's amazing how you keep repeating this same mantra
>and yet it simply doesn't make logical sense.

Frankly, Bert, I am not too certain about your logical reasoning abilities...
Or your ability to read for that matter.

>Let me ask this. How would any of those "reasons"
>change if we had gone to DVB-T? The "NTSC franchise"
>you keep talking about can just as easily become an
>ATSC or a DVB-T "franchise" when analog goes away.

Those reasons would not change.

Did you not read what I wrote to preface those reasons?

>  Terrestrail television broadcasting exists in the
>  United States today for two reasons, neither of
>  which have ANYTHING to do with technology:

Clearly if these reasons have nothing to do with technology, a
different technology would not matter.

We can speculate all day about what could have been. But the simple
fact is that the broadcast DTV transition is not about building
something. It is about protecting NTSC.

>The politicians will no doubt continue to insist that
>the public airwaves be used to inform the public on
>matters political, no matter if ATSC or DVB-T is
>used in FOTA TV.

Probably true. This suggests that "political control" is a problem
that should be investigated.

I would warn however, that the politicians will deny everything and
point to the "FACT" that the U.S. Television system is largely free
from political control. I know this is true because Terri Schiavo
told me this personally about a year ago.

;-)

I would humbly suggest that a market based system, where content and
carriage are decoupled  is the most effective way to reduce political
control over the mass media. I serious doubt, however, that the
politicians will EVER let the marketplace deal with these issues.

>HDTV monitors can just as easily be sold whether the
>(mostly unused) terrestrial standard is DVB-T or
>ATSC. So what exactly is the point you've been
>trying to make? None of this answers why the NAB
>insisted on ATSC over DVB-T.

HDTV monitors ARE being sold it large volumes. They are not being
hooked up to ATSC receivers and antennas.

What does any of this have to do with my basic contention that with
very few exceptions broadcasters are doing everything possible to
delay the DTV transition?

It is NOT about Technology Bert.

As I have said repeatedly, technology follows business decisions. If
or when broadcasters decide that they actually want to use the
spectrum to offer a competitive multi-channel television service,
ATSC will be replaced with something that works. Until then, the fact
that it does not work is comforting to those who wish to see the NTSC
franchise sustained via the Congressional feeding tube.