[opendtv] Re: Last night we have transitioned

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:04:24 -0500

Jeroen Stessen wrote:

> I think they charge like 15 Euro per month for analog-only,
> and 17 Euro for analog plus basic digital. I suppose that
> in the USA this would be a bargain.

It would be a huge bargain here. Also your DBS rates would be. I don't
know if this is universally true, but the basic digital tier on cable
here seems to carry mostly digital conversions of analog channels, with
few exceptions such as PBS. Which makes the images look quite grainy
compared with digital SDTV.

> UPC cable TV are forcing DVB-C down our throats by
> unsollicited delivery of settop boxes (or media box, as
> they call it). You can try the service for half a year, and
> send back the box if you don't want to continue. But if you
> don't want it, you still have to fill in some papers and
> take the box back to the post office. I don't like this.

Well, is there any talk of integrated DVB-T and DVB-C receivers? That's
what we're supposed to have here, called "cable ready," but the cable
companies overcharge for the required CableCard to encourage people to
use their proprietary STBs. It sounds like we have a similar situation
to yours, perhaps.

Congratulations on an uneventful transition!