[opendtv] LTE Reading List

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 10:43:36 -0400

So Bert continues to challenge the notion that it us possible for existing
broadcasters to migrate to a new Broadcast LTE standard, claiming that the
telcos won't allow it, and that it would be much more expensive to implement
than a new standard that uses the legacy market based "big stick" approach.

I have suggested that it will not be difficult for broadcasters to lease space
on existing cell towers, and to use existing broadcast tower infrastructure
where possible.
I have also suggested that the telcos have a number of barriers that are higher
than those that broadcasters face, especially the cost of spectrum and the cost
to implement a subscription or ad supported business model for content.

So I decided to do a bit of research to determine what others are saying about
this subject. I am appending a list of sites with interesting articles on the
subject. What I learned from these documents is that the cost for both the
transmission equipment and for leasing space on towers has declined
substantially, improving the economics for Broadcast LTE.

Here is the relevant URL:

http://www.md7.com/assets/001/5073.pdf

I also learned that both Ericsson and Qualcomm appear to be targeting the
telcos with their proposals, and that AT&T is starting to build out a Broadcast
LTE system in the 700 MHz spectrum they purchased from Qualcomm, after they
shut down FloTV.

http://www.ericsson.com/res/docs/whitepapers/wp-lte-broadcast.pdf

http://gigaom.com/2013/04/09/why-qualcomm-thinks-lte-broadcast-will-work-where-flo-tv-failed/

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/24/att-will-build-an-lte-broadcast-network-tailor-made-for-video/

It is unclear exactly what AT&T plans to do with the system, but the papers
provide a wealth of information about potential services, including many that
have nothing to do with video streaming.

I would add, that there is nothing to prevent both broadcasters and the telcos
from implementing Broadcast LTE, using similar, or completely different
business models. Broadcasters could continue offering ad supported FOTA
services, while the telcos could generate revenues from subscription fees or
payments from companies using the network to distribute content to devices
owned by their customers.

For example, Broadcast LTE could be used to download content to subscribers
during off peak hours, to download software updates to mobile devices, or to
download content to point of sale devices. One factor I had not considered is
the cost saving to the telcos by offloading multiple unicast sessions for the
same data to a single multicast to these devices; this frees up bandwidth for
other services/more unicast sessions.

Enjoy the reading assignment, and let's get more folks into this discussion!