[opendtv] LCD unfit for 3D viewing ?

  • From: "olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxx" <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 00:53:46 +0200

We have in the family this heap of stereoscopic photographs on glass
plates from my great grandfather, and i was thinking of scanning them
for digital preservation, and considering the possibility of viewing
them in 3 D with sequentiel display of left and right picture and
synchronized glasses.

Using a CRT, it is possible to have a high enough refresh rate for each
eye to see a flicker-free picture (as only half the refresh rate will be
available for each eye).

But refresh rates are lower for LCDs. Now those are supposed to be
flicker-free, but as they also use some kind of internal scanning for
refresh, i was wondering if there would not be perceptible problems at
30 Hz, for example?
Also, the display must me fast enough for two successive pictures to be
cleanly separated.

Any opinion ? Anyone tried something like that ?

Perhaps i should grab a CRT monitor while it is still possible...