[opendtv] Re: Keyboard and Mouse, Are They the Hindrance?

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:49:39 -0800

Bert wrote:

"Quite honestly, I just do not believe that a sensibly flexible connected
TV product wouldn't sell perfectly well. The fact that they don't sell, in
my view, is simply that they aren't what people expect them to be. People
expect access to everything from Internet appliances."

I have seen/heard that internet TV sales is outselling 3D enabled TVs.  I
bought an internet enabled but not 3D capable TV.  But interestingly
enough, an internet enabled TV was not on my list of required features.  I
figured I would use my gaming console or other device for the streaming.
But in the end, the TVs I purchased because of picture quality did have
internet connectivity and apps for streaming with the most important one
for me being Netflix.  It also has HuluPlus but I haven't used it on the TV
yet (my wife uses it on her PC).  So now our TV is "tuned to" internet
streaming applications more than any other source with Off-Air and DVD well
behind.  Now, I can't imagine not having an internet-enabled TV, even if it
is limited.

The reason I give this personal anecdote is that perhaps consumers don't
know what an internet-connected TV can do and their consumption habits are
so ingrained in the MVPD that they don't consider the potential streaming
has.

Dan