[opendtv] Re: Keyboard and Mouse, Are They Hindrance?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:21:04 -0600

Dan Grimes wrote:

> The point I really wanted to make is that the lack of
> accessibility to unknown quality programming is the biggest
> hindrance to emerging technologies right now and not the
> physical interface such as a keyboard, mouse, iDevice, etc.

Could be. So, as far as I'm concerned, the answer is for the CE vendors to give
the user choice. I have no problem using any number of different search
engines, and there's no reason why a connected TV can't provide that same
flexibility. If tomorrow someone comes up with a dynamite TV content search
engine, everyone should be able to give it a try.

I also have no problem going to several different portals. If I have absolutely
nothing to watch, Hulu is always a good bet. They separate their content into
movies and TV shows, and they list the most popular movies up front. Works fine
for me. Or you can search by category.

Quite honestly, I just do not believe that a sensibly flexible connected TV
product wouldn't sell perfectly well. The fact that they don't sell, in my
view, is simply that they aren't what people expect them to be. People expect
access to everything from Internet appliances.