[opendtv] Re: Just How Dumb Is It For CBS To Block CNET From Giving Dish An Award?

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 19:35:53 -0500

Monty Solomon posted:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130111/00145421637/just-how-dumb-is-it-cbs-to-block-cnet-giving-dish-award.shtml

--------------------------------------
Just How Dumb Is It For CBS To Block CNET From Giving Dish An Award?

by Mike Masnick
Jan 11 2013
Techdirt

As you may or may not recall, last year, pretty much all the TV
networks sued Dish Networks over a new feature it had launched,
PrimeTime Any Time (PTAT), with its Autohopper technology on its
DVRs.
. . .

This is much the same issue as we saw with Google and AppleTV, which caused one network or another to block their content.

Thing is, all of the networks ALREADY offer "prime time any time," on their web sites. But they control how this is done, and they include some much reduced ad breaks. It's their content, they now have an alternative distribution network at their disposal, so they use it as they see fit.

If the CE companies were not in bed with the MVPDs, by now everyone could own a proper "connected TV," to do their "prime time any time" exactly as I do.

Of course, you need something to push back at the congloms, or they would quickly ruin even the online experience with insanely long ad breaks. But a PVR which totally skips ads seems a bit much. As I've suggested previously, FF through the ads seems a lot more fair and proper.

Overall, it's hard for me to take sides on this. I could ask, "Just how dumb was DISH for allowing ads to be skipped completely, when they could have limited themselves to FF and probably avoided the whole skirmish?" And, how about consumers take matters into their own hands, and either use a PC as TV STB, or scream their heads off at the CE vendors to wake the h*ll up about connected TVs?