[opendtv] Re: JPEG2000?

  • From: Steve Wilson <stevenjwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:05:49 -0400

Cliff Benham wrote:
> [from a friend who is supposed to know whereof he speaks...]
>
> "Well, Microsoft, the H.264 consortium, et.al. have done it.
>
> They couldn't find a way to play nice in their little sandbox. None of
> them will make anything from their digital video formats.
>
> The Library of Congress, and Digital Cinema have gone with JPEG2000.

Lib of Congress selected J2K years ago and Digital Cinema maybe a year
or 2 ago.

> The compression rate for JPEG2000 is incredible. An over 2 hour
> theatrical release takes only 250 G. All I frames, so no time fractured
> macro blocking.

Yes, but 125GB/hr equates to about 280Mbps whereas an HD movie in
MPEG2/H264 is the 50Mbps and less category.  At the same bit rate, is
one better than the other?  I don't know.  But, J2K is a completely
different approach to compression with much different characteristics -
those different characteristics may have been what really drove these
decisions.