[opendtv] I've seen a demo from LetItWave

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 17:47:16 +0200

Hello,
This week we've had a private demo from the French company LetItWave:
  http://www.letitwave.com/  (Thanks to Olivier Houot for the tip !)

They use the theory of bandlets for de-interlacing, resolution
enhancement,
and noise and artefact reduction. We have seen some simulated video, and
also a real-time demo from an FPGA on a PCI-card. I was much impressed !
Their guy, Alban D'Halluin (director, HDTV marketing) was not at all shy
to answer our tricky questions. He seemed honest and knowledgable.

They are doing studio-quality conversion from 576@50i (a.k.a. PAL) to
720@50p (a.k.a. Euro-HD), but they are not limited to these standards.
(But they do no frame rate conversion, and do not use motion vectors.)

80% of the quality is determined by the de-interlacer, and theirs is yet
another variant of the motion-adaptive (not motion-compensated) method.
In the simulations it succeeded on some very critical test sequences.

Their equipment has been used for HDTV broadcasting from the tennis
championship at Roland Garros, because only the center court had real
HD cameras. Only the experts could tell the difference between the real
720p and the upconverted video. And this on a mere PCI card.

There have been demos at the NAB, and there will be new and improved
demos at the coming IBC. Highly recommended.

I seemed to understand that Yves Faroudja has an advisory function or
something to them. I thought that he wanted no more of interlace ?

Oh, and Prin: you guys should worry, they do outperform you a little
on de-interlacing, and probably for a fraction of the cost...

PS: Philips Applied Technologies Eindhoven wants to hire 1-2 designers for

various video signal processing jobs. Let me know if any of you are
interested.

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |