[opendtv] Re: Italian mobile TV provider has signals covered

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:16:11 -0400

Thanks Mark.
Here is my take on A-VSB.

You start with a 2 Mbps hit.

You then decide whether you will suffer with 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 mode which
leaves you with 1/5, 1/4 or 1/3 of whatever bits you assign to A-VSB for
good data. 10 Mbps assigned to A-VSB gets you 2, 2.5 or 3.3 Mbps of useful
A-VSB bandwidth and after subtracting that 10 and the up to 2 Mbps of
overhead you would have 7.34 Mbps for HD. Sounds like MPEG4 AVC could come
in handy there but of course we can't use MPEG4 for that HD program since it
would be required to be FTA MPEG2.

But on the bright side in 1/2 mode your 2.5 Mbps would be good for 100 mph.
On the dark side this is not going to work with any current receivers and
the subsidized converter could not include any A-VSB circuitry by law.
Government, at least ours, is so good and circumscribing things.

Sorry but I am not getting to excited yet. Neither is Mr. B.

Bob Miller