[opendtv] Re: "It can't be done"

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 10:18:25 -0800

I'm willing to bet that you, Craig, cannot find a feasible site in Santa
Barbara county for a SINGLE new transmitter/antenna combination.

My criteria: you getting a letter of intent from a landowner, for a site
that serves part of the market, which meets all electrical/interference
criteria and land use/RFR criteria of S.B. county and the municipalities
therein.  I'm including in the eligibles all current transmit sites and any
new ones you can find.

A single site is just a start of a SFN, but you need to start there, unless
you are going to "flash-cut" your proposed SFN. (Which you cannot do,
because you need to tune it up off-line before putting it into service)

Let me give you a bit of perspective.  In the early 1990s, a friend of mine
named Bob Suffel had a LPTV cp for Santa Barbara.  He couldn't find a single
site where he could serve a sizeable audience, where he could get a letter
of intent, and where he could get land use approval from the county or a
municipality.

You did notice that I said land use/RFR criteria for Santa Barbara County?

Due to the terrain and the county having a RFR policy, you picked the wrong
county.

Dale -- more knowledgeable about this county than I -- has politely been
trying to clue you into this.

One can name all sorts of places in the West where it's EXTREMELY difficult
to put up new stations that will reach sizeable audiences -- Phoenix, Yuma
and Tucson come to mind instantly -- but Santa Barbara is by far the most
difficult due to county land use/RFR policies.  Particular cities within
that county are much worse than the unincorporated parts of the county.

And, to iterate: this is only the first site that you want to use for your
SFN.

I'm not saying that SFN's cannot be done.  I'm saying you foolishly picked
the wrong/worst county to try it in.

It's hard to find cell towers in S.B. County.  They all have to be disguised
and have since day one.  All broadcast towers go up on the "scenic" hills.

John Willkie