[opendtv] Re: Is this Apple's iTV?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:00:56 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

> OK, what percentage of 1080p or higher resolution programming from
> all sources and transmission schemes is actually available to
> consumers to watch at home in the world today? What I mean is how
> much 1080p is actually getting to the inputs on my HDTV?

Cliff, I had a couple of reactions to this better than 1080p resolution of the
new iPad.

One reaction was the same as yours. The other reaction was, watch Craig gush
all over this, in spite of the fact that he poo-poohed HDTV from day 1.

The reason I didn't comment was that here is Craig's likely response: "It
doesn't matter whether the source material is 1080p or better. You still gain
image quality by oversampling the image to the higher resolution."

I suppose that tablets are held up to viewing distances more or less like those
of HDTV sets, in terms of picture height viewing distance. So, there's probably
some rationale for HDTV quality images, at best. IMO, much better than that is
wasted. But if Apple does it, I suppose we all genuflect and Believe.