[opendtv] Re: Is it p or i

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:25:12 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeroen Stessen" <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> I learned this at this year's SID. I can look it up, if you like.
> They call it "wobbulation". I said: "interlace by any other name
> is still interlace". I don't think the speaker liked me...  ;-)
>
> Best,
> -- Jeroen

And like magic this appeared in my in box today:

John

http://www.tvtechnology.com/hd_notebook/one.php?id=424

      Date posted: 2005-09-14
      HP Unveils New HD 'Wobulation' Monitors
      Computer and printer maker Hewlett-Packard, which began tinkering in
the DTV set market about a year ago using a technology it called
"Wobulation," is about to bring out 10 new DTV models, some of which it
reports reach the HD level of quality. HP had already introduced four DTV
set models to the market in 2004, following fellow computer competitor Dell
in offering DTV flat-screen products.

      Chipmaker Texas Instruments had maxed out with its 1,280 x 720 DLP
array--somewhat short of "the highest-quality HD resolution of 1,920 x 1,080
pixels"--HP said in a statement. HP created Wobulation--a technique designed
to take advantage of the fact that TI's new DLP mirrors can oscillate every
1/120 of a second--to create a series of overlapping pixels that the human
eye "melds" together. The results, according to HP, are two visible pixels
for each physical mirror and a 1,920 x 1,080 picture.

      The HD sets will include features that link the TV monitors to PCs,
primarily to extend computer content into the TV set. Starting at $2,500,
the 10 new HP models (four of which employ the Wobulation technology) will
hit shelves in time for the year-end holiday shopping season, according to
The Wall Street Journal.

      Meanwhile, Reuters reported on Sept. 13 that HP will cut nearly 1,000
jobs in the U.K. over the next 12 months--part of nearly 6,000 job losses
company-wide. However, HP's overall production levels in Britain reportedly
will not be affected, with the cuts coming mainly in human resources, IT and
finance.